Thursday, March 4, 2010

Teak Tiller Work

Pic 1- One sanded, One still Gross
Pic 2- Sanding mmm
Pic 3- Spar varnish with UV protection

The Tiller looked nasty. See the before sanding pic.

I was able to strip off the black coating on the wood and get down to the god stuff with some 60 grit sand paper.

After a cleaning with West Marine's 'Teak Cleaner' a drying and a wipe with a damp cloth to remove dust and left over sanding debris, I hit it with some SPAR VARNISH. These babies are already starting to look great!

As the sun went down, I got a pic of the first coat on the eager wood. Summer, here we come.

Pumped up.

Jay


3 comments:

  1. The Hangers are for hanging the wood so I didn't have to touch the new varnish:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the measurements for the rudder, I have a full rudder that draws 2.5 feet and have to take it off during launching.
    john.ripa@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, great job on the restoration.

    ReplyDelete